top of page
full size.png

sp03a

Whitworth Colliery

Spennymoor

54.699832, -1.609587

Margaret Pit

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

Unknown

Entry Created:

28 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Little is known about the south-eastern most pit in the triangle of pits at Whitworth Park. Maps show it commenced operations much later than the other two as per any indication of working on the 1861 Ordnance Survey, though looks to have operated much later than the other two, as it is not shown as disused on the 1890s maps. There was a central shaft plus a number of railway sidings and winding engine. It was connected to the Bishop Auckland & Ferryhill branch.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page