top of page
full size.png


Whitworth Park Colliery


54.701540, -1.613267





Entry Created:

28 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2022




Durham County Coal Co. (1841), West Dock Co. (1840s), R. S. Johnson & T. M. Reay (1840s), Surtees & Co. (1850s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"This colliery is situated about 6 miles south-west from the city of Durham. The royalty belongs to R. E. D. Shaftoe, Esq., of Whitworth; and the sinking was commenced, June 15, 1839, by the "Durham County Coal Company."* The first coal was got on July 10, 1841. The depth of the shaft to the Hutton seam is 86 fathoms; and the coal averages about 3 feet 10 inches in thickness. There is a condensing pumping-engine of 120 horse power ; and the drawing-engine is of 40 horse power. Attached is a self-acting apparatus for drawing small coal to a separate heap; and all the fittings up "at bank" are neat and of the most improved description. The railway joins the Byers Green branch of the Clarence (the act for which was obtained in 1836) about 500 yards from the colliery, from whence to the drops at Port Clarence on the Tees is about 21 miles. Coals from this pit have, however, been occasionally shipped at Hartlepool. In 1842, the colliery was laid in and dismantled by the company, after an outlay of nearly £40,000; but, in a very brief space, it was re-let to, and refitted up by a private company, who are entering upon their speculation with sanguine expectations of success."

Views of the Collieries (1844) via Durham Mining Museum

NEHL - Contrary to various sources, this pit actually closed in 1882, not 1974. The excerpt confirms as such as well as contemporary maps which show the pit as disused.

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Thomas Hair illustration of Whitworth Park Colliery, 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page