18 Jul 2023
18 Jul 2023
Shildon Coal Co. (1880s)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - Shildon Colliery was located directly adjacent to Shildon Railway Station and the expansive sidings carriage sidings which would now lead to the Locomotion Museum.
The shaft was sunk in 1869 and employed over 350 within 15 years. Within this decade it became a sizeable complex, utilising two separate shafts and a number of railway sidings. It also supported the growth of New Shildon, with new terraces developing around the site alongside a mechanics institute on the other side of the railway.
The colliery was an early closer, ceasing in the 1920s.
The pit also had its own football team, with took part in the North Eastern League alongside Newcastle United, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Blyth Spartans. This was in 1924 so it is likely the aforementioned teams were fielding reserves and B teams in the league.
Ordnance Survey, 1897
Shildon Colliery from the west. Unknown source (apologies for the low quality)
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by