top of page
full size.png

shil01a

West Durham Wallsend Colliery

Shildon

54.632221, -1.666991

Opened:

Closed:

1890s

1900s

Entry Created:

18 Jul 2023

Last Updated:

18 Jul 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

West Durham Wallsend Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A small mining enterprise was set up west of Durham in the 1890s, only lasting for a decade until the site was left disused by the 1910s.

The West Durham Wallsend Colliery likely capitalised on the good reputation of Wallsend coals and named it after them for prospective buyers. The complex was modest, featuring a few rectangular ancillary buildings with two shafts and utilising two sidings with a shunting point. The railway was directly connected with Shildon Lodge Colliery which continued on to the mainline.

Advertisements can be seen in southern newspapers advertising their coals at low prices, which compliments the theory above. However, the enterprise doesn't seem to have lasted long as they were out of business by the 1910s. The pit is shown as disused on the map surveyed in 1915, with just the extant heap and disused shaft. The railway had also been lifted up to West Street, now West Auckland Road. The site is still evident today.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page