9 Jan 2023
9 Jan 2023
Henry Taylor (1840s), Thomas & Hugh Taylor (1840s)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - The Taylor's earliest pit around Shilbottle is the Engine Pit, founded by Henry or his father in 1807. It operated on a lane just north of Shilbottle until around the 1850s, as the pit is no longer labelled on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey, though the buildings and heaps are illustrated. It is labelled as an 'old coal working' on the 1890s maps including the old shaft on a footpath down to the village.
Several heaps remained and appear in situ to this day. The "Colliery Farm" next door is still operating with the same buildings, and the footpaths mentioned previously can still be seen on aerial imagery, having likely been a route to the village for centuries.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by