top of page
full size.png

s054a

South Birtley Colliery

Birtley

54.887855, -1.573960

Opened:

Closed:

1866

1922

Entry Created:

31 May 2022

Last Updated:

31 May 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

J.F Swinburn (1880s), Allison & Cockburn (1880s), William Allison (1890s), F. J. Allison (1910s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Durham Record Office note this pit has contesting dates of opening - 1866 and 1802. The mine is not visible on maps written up in the 1850s, so it is more likely to have opened in 1866. It neighboured South Birtley Brick & Tile Works, and was connected to Durham Road via a short footpath.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page