top of page
full size.png

s045a

Shildon Lodge Colliery

Shildon

54.632054, -1.656480

Engine Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1830

1937

Entry Created:

19 Aug 2022

Last Updated:

19 Aug 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Robert Surtees (1830), Bolckow Vaughan (1850s), Shildon Lodge Colliery Co. Ltd. (1930s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Shildon Lodge Colliery, worked by Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan, & Co., is in the township [Shildon], where the "Brockwell" seam is met 5 feet 6 inches thick at a depth of 120 fathoms, yielding an output of 800 tons per day."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page