26 May 2022
26 May 2022
William Heward Bell (1850s), Sir George Elliot, Bart. & William Hunter (1860s), Charlaw & Sacriston Collieries Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947)
Description (or HER record listing)
"The Sacriston and Charlaw collieries are carried on by Messrs. Hunter and Elliott. The seams now worked (1891) are "Low Main," 2 to 3 ft. at 50 fathoms ; "Hutton," 2 ft. 6 in., 60 fathoms ; and "Busty," from 4 to 5 ft. at about 100 fathoms. The output of the Charlaw pit is about 500 tons per day, and the number of hands employed is 300. The Sacriston is expected shortly to be in full operation, when the output is estimated at 1000 tons per day, and the number employed at 600. There are also coke ovens to be erected here shortly."
- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham, retrieved from Durham Mining Museum
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Sacriston Colliery, 1985 on the eve of closure. Source: William Whitehead
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Sacriston Colliery, undated. Source: Sacriston Colliery, undated
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by