top of page
full size.png

s018a

Stobswood Colliery

Morpeth

55.246548, -1.629676

Opened:

Closed:

1875

1965

Entry Created:

28 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

28 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

John H. Burn (1880s), Stobswood Coal Co. (1900s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - This area was full of bell pits before the larger colliery complex came about. Commercial mining began with the Burn family who also owned the colliery at West Stanley. The pit was located close to Widdrington on the East Coast Main Line which meant it was easy to transport coal, and led to the construction of its own sidings.

Two shafts were sunk 300ft deep - one for winding and one for ventilation. Further drifts were sunk nearby for easy access to the coal face.

A fire struck the mine in the late 1890s that destroyed the headgear and buildings around the shaft. They were rebuilt and the colliery continued working.

This pit was highly successful, breaking production records in the 40s.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Aerial view of Stobswood Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Stobswood Colliery from the ECML, undated. Unknown Source.

Stobswood Colliery from the ECML, undated. Unknown Source.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page