full size.png

s010

South Shildon Colliery

Shildon

54.619639, -1.639512

Opened:

1929

Closed:

1958

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

7 Jul 2022

Owners: 

South Shildon Coal Co. (1929), National Coal Board (1947)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

NEHL - South Shildon Colliery sat on a small parcel of rectangular land south of New Shildon on the A6072. It only existed for a couple of decades, indicating it wasn't particularly abundant with resources and was no longer viable for the NCB to work. A small heap and 3 colliery buildings were the only extant features, one with an Ordnance Survey benchmark.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0