top of page
full size.png


South Medomsley Colliery


54.877897, -1.777239

Pontop Hall Colliery

Mary Pit





Entry Created:

14 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

14 Jun 2022




Muschamp, Bainbridge & Co. (1860s), South Medomsley Colliery Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

"In 1864 the South Medomsley Coal Company sunk a shaft known as the Annie pit, and in 1867 a second shaft, called the Mary, was sunk, and are now working the Hutton seam, 46 fathoms deep, and 6 feet 6 inches in thickness ; the Low Hutton, 48½ fathoms, 2 feet 2 inches ; the Main Coal, 54 fathoms, 4 feet 7 inches ; the Harvey, 75½ fathoms, 2 feet ; the Busty, 91 fathoms, with 3 feet of top coal, 2 feet 8 inches of sagger clay, and 2 feet 10 inches of bottom coal ; the Three Quarter, 3 feet, with 8 inches of stone band running through it ; and the Brockwell, 104 fathoms, 2 feet 2 inches. The Five Quarter and Brass Thill are worked out. The coal are drawn from the Main Coal and Busty seams to the Mary pit, and the Hutton seams are worked through a drift in the valley about a mile north of the shaft. The clay from the Busty is made into fire-brick on the spot. There are 217 coke ovens, 53 of which are only in operation at present. The weekly output is about 1700 tons, giving employment to 211 men and boys. In 1893 an ancient wooden spade was found in the old workings of the Hutton seam."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (Retrieved from Durham Mining Museum)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page