top of page
full size.png

s005a

Sherburn Colliery

Sherburn

54.777908, -1.511762

Lady Durham Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

Unknown

Entry Created:

10 Oct 2022

Last Updated:

10 Oct 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Earl of Durham (1850s), Lambton Collieries Ltd. (1900s), National Coal Board

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Lady Durham Pit was location adjacent to the Leamside Line, which before the 1870s was the main line between York and Newcastle. The colliery itself was connected to the Lambton Railway, a network which allowed access to staiths at Sunderland.

The colliery itself was fairly vast, with extensive sidings and ground buildings as well as a small reservoir and 2 air shafts. There was also a colliery hotel on the main road. By the 1910s, there was a number of coke ovens on site, but had scaled down by the 1940s. The railway station was to be known as "Sherburn Colliery" station thanks to its locality.

Ordnance Survey, 1947

Ordnance Survey, 1947

Sherburn Colliery Lady Durham Pit, undated. Source: gallica.bnf.fr

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page