4 Jun 2022
4 Jun 2022
Lord Londonderry (1815), Messrs. Cooks (1912), Rainton Colliery Co. Ltd. (1914), National Coal Board (1947)
Description (or HER record listing)
"At the Rainton Colliery, which is the property of the Marquis of Londonderry, there are three pits from which coal is raised, named the Adventure, Alexandrina, and Meadow pits, sunk in the years, 1817, 1824, and 1824 respectively. The seams worked are the Five Quarter, High Main, Maudlin, and Low Main, the Hutton seam being practically exhausted. The coals produced are Londonderry Wallsend, Pittington Wallsend, and Londonderry Primrose, for household purposes, and the Hartley for steam purposes. Number of stationary engines in use is 31 ; boilers, 38 ; number of men and boys employed, 1185 ; houses occupied by workmen, 835."
- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham, retrieved from Durham Mining Museum
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Adventure Pit, undated. Unknown Source.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Aerial photo of the Adventure Pit site, 2022
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by