top of page
full size.png

r017

Rough Lea Colliery

Hunwick

54.695972, -1.700920

Opened:

Closed:

1858

1931

Entry Created:

14 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

14 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Henry Stobart & Co. (1858), North Bitchburn Coal Co. Ltd. (1880), Pease & Partners Ltd. (1926)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Rough Lea Colliery stood on the east of Lane Ends close to the Wear. It was directly linked to the line from Durham to Bishop Auckland, hosting at least half a dozen sidings. The main entry to the colliery appears to be a drift just off Rough Lea Lane, and most of the ground level site was used up by coke ovens. Nowadays both housing and playing fields occupy the site.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page