top of page
full size.png

prud03a

Eltringham Colliery

Prudhoe

54.961648, -1.869912

Opened:

Closed:

1880s

20th c

Entry Created:

10 Mar 2023

Last Updated:

10 Mar 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Eltringham Colliery Co. (1880s), West Mickley Coal Co. Ltd. (1900s), Eltringham Coal Co. (1930s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Eltringham Colliery stood adjacent to the brick works of the same name against the banks of the Tyne through the last decades of the 19th century and the first few of the 20th. It was connected by rail to the Newcastle and Carlisle line, with a significant number of sidings encircling the winding engine and shaft. There was also a large waste heap to to the south of the complex.

At its peak in 1902, 319 people worked above and below ground.

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Eltringham Colliery and pipeworks, circa 1910. Source: Prudhoe Local History Society (https://www.prudhoelocalhistory.com/station-gate-eltringham.html). No known copyright issues.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Photograph of the old colliery stables in 1992, which were demolished for residential. Source: Prudhoe Local History Society (https://www.prudhoelocalhistory.com/station-gate-eltringham.html). No known copyright issues.

Photograph of the old colliery stables in 1992, which were demolished for residential. Source: Prudhoe Local History Society (https://www.prudhoelocalhistory.com/station-gate-eltringham.html). No known copyright issues.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page