top of page
full size.png

p020b

Pontop Colliery

Harelaw

54.872661, -1.751112

Harelaw Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1839

1880s

Entry Created:

26 Sept 2022

Last Updated:

26 Sept 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Lady Windsor & John Simpson (1760s), John Bowes & Co. (1850s), Marley Hill Coal Co. (1860s), John Bowes & Co. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - One of Pontop Colliery's workings can be found at this site. This is Harelaw Pit which closed around the 1880s and formed part of the extensive network of collieries between Annfield Plain and Dipton. It is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey of 1862 as a small working with limited facilities, so may have been a simple access shaft. Nowadays, the area is wooded and reclaimed.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page