top of page
full size.png

p020a

Pontop Colliery

Annfield Plain

54.860364, -1.748323

South Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1839

Unknown

Entry Created:

26 Sept 2022

Last Updated:

26 Sept 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Lady Windsor & John Simpson (1760s), John Bowes & Co. (1850s), Marley Hill Coal Co. (1860s), John Bowes & Co. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Wedged between South Derwent Colliery and East Castle Colliery stood Pontop Colliery from the 1830s. This working was part of an extensive railway network which joined the Stanley to Consett NER line, and encompassed no less than 6 seperate colliery sites. Pontop Colliery was one of the biggest, with various ground level facilities, two pit heaps and two reservoirs.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page