top of page
full size.png

p003a

Pelton Colliery

Pelton

54.855346, -1.629222

Tribley Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1900s

1923

Entry Created:

11 May 2023

Last Updated:

11 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Pelton Colliery Ltd. (1900s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Tribley Pit was located on the Hett Hills and owned by Pelton Colliery Ltd, which operated slightly north of here. It was a fairly small working unconnected by the mainline, but was linked by tramway to the main Pelton Colliery complex. The tramway ran through a tunnel underneath main line at the Het Hill public house.

The pit can be seen on a postcard from 1913, featuring the winding gear and a number of ancillary buildings. It closed in 1923 having only operated for a couple of decades. At its peak in 1915, 232 people worked here.

Ordnance Survey, 1921

Ordnance Survey, 1921

Tribley Pit in 1913. It appears the camera is facing south east towards Tribley.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page