Pelton Fell Colliery
3 Mar 2023
3 Mar 2023
Lord Dunsaney & Partners (1869), Pelton Colliery Ltd. (1901), Mid Durham Coal Co. Ltd. (1929), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - Pelton Colliery stood between Pelton Fell and Newfield through the 19th century and the first half of the 20th. It was a fairly substantial working, with countless coal ovens and sidings connected to the old Stanhope & Tyne through to Birtley. There was a drift mine on its westernmost edge, as well as a shaft close to the main winding engine and buildings. The sidings also built over an old shaft from the Brow Pit which fell disused earlier in the 19th century.
Much of Newfield was constructed to cater for the hundreds (then thousands) of workers who went down the shaft here. By 1910, 1828 people worked under and above ground here.
Ordnance Survey, 1896
The site of Newfield pit can be seen in the distance.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
1945 aerial imagery of Newfield Pit. Courtesy of Google Earth.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by