full size.png

p001

Pelton Colliery

Chester le Street

54.863340,-1.609865

Pelton Fell Colliery

Brow Pit

Opened:

1867

Closed:

1965

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

22 Jan 2022

Owners: 

Lord Dunsaney & Partners (1869), Mid Durham Coal Co. Ltd. (1929), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This colliery is situated about 2 miles west-south-west from Chester-le-Street. It was commenced by Messrs. Kingscote and Co., but is now carried on by James Reed, Esq., and Partners, who have, since they came into possesion, effected many valuable improvements in the concern. The ground was broken for the air-shaft on August 12, 1835. The depth of this shaft is 64 fathoms, and that of the working shaft 52 fathoms. The seam wrought is the Hutton, which is here from 4 feet 4 inches to 4 feet 6 inches thick. The winding engine is of 25 horse power, and the pumping engine 100; but it has not yet been found necessary to exert the whole power of the latter. The coals are transmitted by the Pontop and Shields (the Stanhope and Tyne) Railway, a distance of about 13 miles, to the staiths at South Shields.

Extract from 'Views of the Collieries' (1844), retrieved from Durham Mining Museum

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Pelton Fell Colliery, undated. Source: Jim Rutter Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0