top of page
full size.png

o001a

Ouston Colliery

Ouston

54.877488, -1.589696

A Pit

Opened:

Closed:

before 1815

1959

Entry Created:

19 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

19 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Hunt & Co. (1850s), Messrs. Hunt, Perkins & Co. (1860s), E. M. Perkins & Partners (1880s), Birtley Iron Co. (1910s), Pelaw Main Collieries Ltd. (1920s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

"The principal industry in this township [Ouston] is coal mining, which is carried on by Charles Perkins and Partners at the Ouston A pit. The following seams are worked : the Low Main, 3 feet in thickness, at a depth of 324 feet ; and the Hutton, 4 feet 2 inches, and 372 feet deep. This seam is nearly worked out. The average output is 540 tons per day, giving employment to 500 men and boys. Gas is supplied to the pit offices, and houses, from gas works in connection with the pit. The E pit is situated on the eastern boundary of the township, the first sod being cut on July 19, 1888 ; and the Busty seam, 5 feet in thickness, reached at a depth of 80 fathoms, which is the only seam at present worked. The royalty is very extensive, and when further developed will give employment to a large number of hands. At present the output is 100 tons per diem, which provides employment to 130 men and boys. Electricity is extensively in use for lighting above and below."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ouston Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page