Low Stublick Colliery
21 Apr 2022
21 Apr 2022
Blackett-Beaumont Allendale Estate
Description (or HER record listing)
The first definite reference to this colliery is in a lease dated 1794. An earlier reference in 1774 may also refer to this colliery but it is not named. The colliery was worked by means of shafts and drifts into the coal outcrop with the coal seams worked by the pillar and stall method. Drainage levels were also built to take water away from the workings. The miners lived nearby in houses built by the Stublick Burn. The colliery was part of the Blackett-Beaumont Allendale Estates by 1835 and supplied coal to the Allenheads smelt mill, Allenheads lead mines and the Coalcleugh lead mines. Little is known about the colliery after 1848, but it probably closed later that century.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by