South Tyne Colliery
16 May 2022
Smith & Hastwell (1860s), William Hudspith (1890s), 1910s), Blackett & South Tyne Collieries Ltd. (1910s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
The South Tyne Colliery was established in the 1870s and was a working coal mine until the 1920s or 1930s. The first edition (6 inch) Ordnance Survey map describes the site as a coal depot and there are other features there as well, such as a waggonway, an air shaft, joiners shop, blacksmith, stores and offices as well as a chimney, engine beds, engine house and a blocked adit.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
South Tyne Colliery during construction, 1870s. Source: Old Haltwhistle, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
South Tyne Colliery, around 1920. Source: Christine Dixon via haltwhistleburn.org
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.