full size.png

N5962

Coanwood Colliery

Haltwhistle

54.924244, -2.500582

Opened:

1860

Closed:

1931

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

31 Mar 2022

Owners: 

Wilson & Crawhall (1860s), Coanwood Coal Co. (1880s), F.G Herdman & Co. (1930s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This disused colliery was opened in 1860 and closed in July 1931. It was connected to Crystallwell Colliery by a tramway.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Coanwood Colliery seen from Lambley, date unknown. Source: Old Haltwhistle, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0