full size.png

N5624A

Radcliffe Colliery

Radcliffe nr Amble

55.318144, -1.575398

First Pit

Opened:

1836

Closed:

1896

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

9 May 2022

Owners: 

Joseph & John Harrison (1850s), Harrison Carr & Co. (1860s), Radcliffe Coal Co. (1880s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This is the site of Radcliffe Colliery, a post-medieval coal mine.

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Illustration/letterhead of Radcliffe Colliery, undated. Source: John Moss Robinson, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0