top of page
full size.png

N4156

Scremerston Colliery

Scremerston, Berwick-upon-Tweed

55.741209, -1.996170

Engine Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

1944

Entry Created:

4 Apr 2022

Last Updated:

4 Apr 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Robert Johnson (1820s), Carr & Co. (1840s), Johnson & Carr (1860s), Scremerston & Shoreswood Coal Co. (1880s), Scremerston Coal Co. Ltd (1890s), Scremerston Main Collieries Ltd. (1935)

Description (or HER record listing)

This is the site of a 19th century colliery on Scremerston coalfield. There is an area of disturbed ground adjacent to the line of an old railway and opposite the site of a winding house. Other activities may have taken place here. Brickworks were noted by a local farmer.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Scremerston Colliery, undated. Source: Ancestry Hour, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Scremerston winding gear in the background of this early 1900s shot at the village. Source: berwickfriends.org.uk

Scremerston winding gear in the background of this early 1900s shot at the village. Source: berwickfriends.org.uk

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page