Seaton Delaval Colliery
3 Sept 2021
13 Jun 2022
Joseph Lamb & Co. (1830s), Lamb, Scott, Barnes, Burdon & Co. (1850s), Lamb, Burdon & Co. (1860s), Seaton Delaval Coal Co. (1880s - 1929), Hartley Main Collieries (1929 - 1943), Bedlington Mains Coal Co. (1943 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
The Seaton Delaval relief pit is depicted and labelled on the Ordnance Survey map of 1898 (but not the 1865 edition). The site, which lay adjacent to the Seaton Delaval Colliery Railway, at that time comprised a shaft, reservoir, 3 buildings, a magazine and short wagon ways. The 1947 air photos suggest that the site had been abandoned by that time, though some structures were still extant. In 2016 the site was under trees.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
The relief pit can be seen in the way of the block of woods down the Forster Pit branch railway.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Approximate site of the shaft, which cannot be seen anymore. 2022
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by