full size.png

N27944

Padon Hill, bell pits

Tarset

55.220440, -2.294379

Opened:

18th c

Closed:

18th c

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

31 Mar 2022

Owners: 

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

An extensive area of coal workings, in the form of bell pits and shafts, stretch for a distance of 1.4km around the south/south-west slopes of Padon Hill. They are visible as earthworks and belonged to Highgreen Coal and are shown on a mine plan of 1764.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0