full size.png

N27284

Elsdon Colliery

Elsdon

55.233445, -2.112707

No. 1 Shaft

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

1972

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

4 Apr 2022

Owners: 

G. Dowson (1880s), John F. Wake (1890s), Elsdon Colliery Co. (1910s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Elsdon Colliery opened in the 1880s and was located on the western outskirts of the village next to the road to Otterburn. It was initially opened as a shaft mine, but a drift mine was opened nearby in about 1900. Following nationalisation of the coal industry after World War II, elsdon pit continued as a licensed mine until its closure in 1972.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0