top of page
full size.png

N27103

Longwitton Colliery

Longwitton

55.199998, -1.901123

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

20thc

Entry Created:

4 Feb 2022

Last Updated:

4 Feb 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Longwitton & Greenleighton Coal & Lime Co. Ltd. (1880s), William Wilkinson (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Longwitton Colliery was located to the north-west of Longwitton, near Hill Top. In the 1880's the colliery was reccorded as being run by Longwitton & Greenleighton Coal & Lime Co. Ltd.[1] The company, established c1874, was owned by Sir W.C. Trevelyan and subsequently by Sir Charles Trevelyan (Greenleighton) and Cecil Spencer Percival (Longwitton).[2] The colliery was served by a tramway, which linked it to the railway at Longwitton Station (at Rothley Shield East)." - Co-Curate

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page