top of page
full size.png

N24008

Prudhoe Main Colliery

Prudhoe

54.968275,-1.836805

West Wylam Colliery

Opened:

Closed:

1850s

1961

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

2 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Mickley Coal Co. (1880s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Prudhoe Main Colliery commenced operations around the early 19th century, however ceased before the 1890s. The James Pit is visible on the 1850s maps as a small working just north of Park Wood. Once this pit closed, West Wylam Colliery was constructed and sunk, consuming the older pit and utilising part of the waggonway which led to James Pit.

Operations continued into the 1960s. There were two lines of coke ovens and an extensive internal railway network. It also connected with the ICI complex after the 1940s.

Some of the site has been reclaimed, though much of it is a retail park.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

West Wylam Colliery, undated. Source: prudhoelocalhistory.org

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Aerial photograph of West Wylam Colliery, which stood where the retail park is now situated.

Aerial photograph of West Wylam Colliery, which stood where the retail park is now situated.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page