29 Mar 2022
29 Mar 2022
Reclaimed (under Kielder Water)
Duke of Northumberland (1850s), J.F Tone & Co. (1860s), C. U. Laws (1880s), Plashetts Coal Co. (1890s)
Description (or HER record listing)
This is the site of the well known Plashetts Colliery. This colliery worked the thin coal underground levels called 'seams' - in particular those of the Scremerston Coal Series. Some of the coal was converted in a battery of coke ovens. There was also the production of bricks from the local fireclays. The whole complex, including housing and specific transport links - an inclined plane and wagonway, was served by, and exported products by, the Border Counties Railway. The brickworks were operated from 1886 to 1914.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Plashetts Colliery, date unknown. Source: The Heritage Centre at Bellingham, FB
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by