8 Sept 2021
Lamb, Potter & Scott (1860s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
This is the site of the Lamb Pit of the East Cramlington Colliery and brickworks. The site was first a colliery and a brickworks second. Fireclay was obtained as the coal from the underground ground levels called 'seams', shaped, dried and fired kilns to produce white brick and firebrick products. The brickworks was operated under the independent Cramlington Coal Company and then the Hartley Main Collieries prior to nationalisation. Bricks produced here were of a white colour - some of the many thousands would bear some identifying letters. Many air raid shelters in the local area were made out of these bricks.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Lamb Pit, 1935. Source: Billy Embleton
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.