13 May 2022
Scremerston & Shoreswood Coal Co. (1880s), Scremerston Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s), John Evelyn Carr (1900s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
This is the site of Felkington Colliery. It is unknown when this site was first opened or dug to the underground coal levels called 'seams'. Here the Bulman Coal Seam was extracted at a depth of 19 fathoms. The pit was operated by the Scremerston & Shoreswood Coal Company in 1885 but by 1905 was under the management of John Evelyn Carr. The coal mine closed in 1906. This was one of the larger pits of the north of the county - but would have been still dwarfed by the larger coal mines in the south of the county.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.