Old Hartley Colliery, Seaton Valley
Old Hartley, Seaton Valley
5 Sept 2021
This is the site of the Bloom Pit. It was sunk from 1791 to 1792 - but had only a short working life. It closed in 1797. This, like many other coal-mining sites of the area, was both owned and operated by the Delaval family. As such the coal raised to the surface in large baskets was probably used in the Seaton Sluice copperas-, glass- and salt-works. There were many short-lived mines in this area; the style of underground workings are unknown here.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us