13 May 2022
Saulsbury, Sons and Jackson (1870s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
This is the general location of Biteabout Colliery. This was worked from a single shaft and exploited a number of different coal seams. It is when the mine was originally dug or 'sunk' to the coal. The mine closed before 1902. It may have only operated for a few years between the second edition Ordnance Survey mapping of the area in 1899 and 1902. A number of other coal bell pit mines were operated in the same area.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.