13 May 2022
Chatton Coal & Lime Co. (1880s), Joseph Henderson (1880s), R. Brown (1900s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
This was a larger colliery that worked the Cooper Eye Seam of the Scremerston Coal series; it initially opened in the 1840s under S Dryden. By 1893 it was owned by the Chatton Coal & Lime Company but was then closed. The colliery was reopened in 1897 by Robert Brown and worked till January 1903. Only a handful of people were employed at the mine; it might be that seasonal labourers were employed at agriculturally slack times.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.