full size.png

N19548

Doddington Colliery

Doddington

55.616570, -1.978915

Engine Pit

Opened:

Unknown

Closed:

1904

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

1 Apr 2022

Owners: 

Brown & Co. (1880s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This is one of the larger collieries of inland North Northumberland. It was specifically named "Doddington Colliery" on the first edition ordnance Survey mapping of the area. This implies some difference to the vast majority of coal working sites in the area. In the 1860s and 1870s this was owned successively by S Salisbury and Brown & Co. However, by the second edition of the Ordnance Survey in 1899 the site appears disused. Whilst the colliery may have been a big Post Medieval example in the North of the county it would probably have been dwarfed by the many other collieries in the south of the county which were better served by transport, such as rail, links.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0