21 Apr 2022
2 May 2022
Strutt & Alan (1860s), Sanderson & Dunn (1870s)
Description (or HER record listing)
This is the site of Lickar Colliery. There is the possibility that coal has been mined in this area since the 18th century. The main Lickar Colliery recorded by the first edition Ordnance Survey cartographers in 1866 was worked from 1854. It is unknown when this colliery closed. This was one of the deeper coal mines in the north of Northumberland; the fuel would have been probably been used in local situations, such as a nearby lime kiln and the villages nearby.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Aerial shot of Lickar Colliery today. There is no indicator apart from a slight discolouration of the crops and seems to be much less fertile. This may be unrelated.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
A vertical shot of the location of the pit. There are two other shafts in this field which may all be related.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by