top of page
full size.png

N14567

Thirlwall Colliery

Haltwhistle

55.006065, -2.546945

Opened:

Closed:

1834

1926

Entry Created:

17 May 2022

Last Updated:

17 May 2022

Partly Preserved

Condition:

Owners: 

Thirlwall Coal Co. Ltd. (1910s), Mickley Coal Co. Ltd. (1910s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Thirlwall Colliery first opened in 1834 but had stopped working by the 1860s when it was described as 'old workings' on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. However, in the early 20th century the Thirlwall Coal Company Ltd reopened the colliery and operated it from at least 1910. In 1918 the colliery was taken over by the Mickley Coal Company Ltd until its final closure in 1926. The remains of these workings lie between the Newcastle to Carlisle railway and woodland on Thirlwall Common. They include foundations of engine houses, a waggonway, reservoirs, dam, magazine, bridge and coal drops.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page