Crofton Mill Colliery
3 Sept 2021
13 Jun 2022
Cowpen & North Seaton Coal Co. (1885 - 1928), Mickley Coal Co. (1928 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
The colliery was sunk on the site of an old mill in January 1885 by the Cowpen and North Seaton Coal Company. This company was later taken over by the Mickly Coal Company in 1923 and, following nationalisation, it operated until it was closed in July 1969. The colliery had one shaft, which was 558 feet deep, and an underground shaft. It had an escape route through North Pit, later called Bates Pit and there were also underground connections to Isabella Pit. Crofton worked ten seams of coal using many different mining methods. It was also a highly mechanised colliery achieving a peak output of 366.000 tons of coal.
NEHL - Related colliery buildings were demolished in 2007 for redevelopment, which was partly completed. The Chronicle wrote about this here: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/end-nigh-pit-1493951
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Crofton Mill Colliery, date unknown. Source: hoggy03, Flickr
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Site of Crofton Mill Colliery, 2022. A few circular crop markings can be seen but not definitive if these are related to the workings.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by