full size.png

N12105

Cowpen Colliery

Blyth, Northumberland

55.126991, -1.520548

A Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Carr & Co. (1850s), Cowpen & North Seaton Coal Co. (1860s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This colliery was the first coal mine to be dug in Blyth. It was begun between 1782 and 1794. Nothing can be seen at the site today.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

White Row, Cowpen. Housing built for the nearby A Pit. Source: Billy Embleton, Flickr

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0