Seaton Delaval Colliery
Seaton Delaval, Northumberland
3 Sept 2021
5 Sept 2021
Joseph Lamb & Co. (1830s), Lamb, Scott, Barnes, Burdon & Co. (1850s), Lamb, Burdon & Co. (1860s), Seaton Delaval Coal Co. (1880s - 1929), Hartley Main Collieries (1929 - 1943), Bedlington Mains Coal Co. (1943 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Seaton Delaval colliery is shown at this site on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. It was founded in 1838 by the Seaton Delaval Coal Company and operated until 1960. Some of its technology was unusual for this area, such as tandem headgear on the shafts and the use of steam jets for ventilation. During its working life it underwent mergers and changes in ownership until it finally closed in 1960. A gas holder, mine shafts, a pump and windlass are all marked on the early map and some of the buildings are now part of the Seaton Delaval Industrial Estate.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by