full size.png

N11942

Ellington Colliery

Ellington, Northumberland

55.216810, -1.554838

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Ashington Coal Co. Ltd. (1909 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947- 1986), British Coal (1986), R.J.B Mining PLC. (1994 - 2001), UK Coal PLC. (2001 -)

HER Info

Ellington Colliery opened in 1909 when it was owned by the Ashington Coal Company Limited. It has changed ownership several times during the 20th century and is currently owned by UK Coal plc. The pit is finally set to close in 2005 after thousands of gallons of water flooded the mineworks. (Written pre closure)

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Ellington Colliery, 1995. Source: mining-europe.de

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0