top of page
full size.png

N11941

Lynemouth Colliery

Lynemouth

55.205854, -1.535464

Opened:

Closed:

1927

1994

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

23 May 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Ashington Coal Co. Ltd. (1927 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -1986), British Coal (1994 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

This is the site of Lynemouth Colliery. It was one of Britain's largest collieries. It opened in 1927 and closed in 1994 due to an underground fire.

NEHL - Before the colliery, Lynemouth was just a small farmstead but became a mining settlement as folk from Ellington Colliery migrated north from 1921. Operations commenced in 1927 and further migration occurred from all over Northumberland for new work. It was predominantly a new vernacular, with concrete buildings rather than brick given an odd new age feel to the pit. It was one of the last to open in the area.

The Ashington Coal Co. developed the pit village to the north west of the working. It didn't have the look nor feel or a traditional mining village given its age but still featured an institute, church and school.

The colliery itself was linked to the Blyth & Tyne Railway by a branch line from Woodhorn Colliery through the village itself. Waste was dumped at the coast and in the sea itself with conveyors linked to the internal tramway network. The landscape still bears the scars, and the power station is partially built upon these waste areas.

Nothing else remains of the colliery today despite only closing a few decades ago.

Ordnance Survey, 1966

Ordnance Survey, 1966

Lynemouth Colliery, 1940. Source: Billy Embleton, Flickr

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Lynemouth Colliery c1920. Source: Northumberland Council

Lynemouth Colliery c1920. Source: Northumberland Council

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page