full size.png

N11879

Eshott Colliery

Thirston

55.275286, -1.674499

Opened:

1840s

Closed:

19th c

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

11 Apr 2022

Owners: 

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Mining at Eshott Colliery probably began in the late 1840s or early 1850s. There was a steam-powered engine that pumped water from the mine shafts and a winding engine to lift miners and coals from underground. There are now no remains to be seen here now.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0