3 Sept 2021
30 Jan 2023
Davison, Easton, Anderson, Stodart, Bates & Henderson (1850s), Bedlington Coal Co. (1860s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
A colliery is shown on a map of 1787 and is marked as Bedlington Colliery on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865.
NEHL - A Pit was connected to a waggonway which led east to the River Blyth long before the Blyth & Tyne was built. Part of the staiths are still extant on the banks north of the river. Though the Doctor Pit came to dominate the local skyline, the A Pit had existed from at least the 1720s. A newspaper excerpt from the Newcastle Courant of 1722 advises Bedlington Colliery was to let along with "free way-leaves and staith-rooms, and won within a mile of the staiths on the River Blyth".
The pit continued operations through the 19th century.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Bedlington A Pit, date unknown. Source: Northern Mines and Collieries, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Bedlington Colliery in 1924, complete with the institute on the left. Source: © Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW010655 flown 14/06/1924
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by