top of page
full size.png

N11797

Bedlington Colliery

Bedlington, Northumberland

55.133677, -1.592134

Doctor Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Davison, Easton, Anderson, Stodart, Bates & Henderson (1850s), Bedlington Coal Co. (1860s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

A coal mine, called Doctor Pit, is shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865. The pit was sunk in 1854. The site included a brickworks site that was worked from 1937 to 1970.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Doctor Pit, date unknown. Source: Cympil, bedlington.co.uk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page