top of page
full size.png

N11727

Hepscott Colliery

Hepscott

55.148712, -1.627106

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1890s

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

20 Feb 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Hepscott Coal Co. (1890s)

Description (or HER record listing)

A colliery, with air shafts and coal shafts, is marked at Hepscott on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1865.

NEHL - The colliery was located on the Blyth & Tyne Railway Morpeth branch, though in the 1850s did not feature its own siding. There was two shafts immediately adjacent - one for coal and one ventilation. Other than these shafts and the pit house, there was little else above ground.

The pit house and heap survived well after the demise of the pit into the 1920s and possibly later. It was known as this time at the "Hepscott Pit House", with access solely reached by a rural footpath. Edward Robson was the occupier in the 1870s and was part of the Fieldhouse Farm estate in the 1890s. This still remains, but the pit house has been demolished with the rubble left behind in situ as a mound.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page