full size.png

N11695

Black Close Colliery

Ashington, Northumberland

55.168258, -1.560264

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Owners: 

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This is the site of an 18th century colliery which belonged to the Duke of Portland. It opened in 1755 and closed in 1846. Historical documents record that a waggonway was built from the colliery to the River Wansbeck in 1755.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0